Sunday, December 31, 2006

Road Trip!!

I rented a vehicle for a trip, and ended up driving a 4 wheel drive Ford F150 club cab. The rental agency gave me the same price as a compact plus a free tank of gas, if I'd take the truck. Surprisingly, I loved it. The ride was comfortable and other cars stayed out of my way. I drove 3 hours East of Tel's to check out Morgantown, West Virginia. I've applied to school there and although the university isn't my first choice, I can see myself living in this town. It's close to my family, it has four REAL seasons, the people are very friendly, the crime rate is non-existent, it's right in the heart of many American history sites, and the price of real estate is great. According to several residents, Morgantown is "unlike any other city in West Virginia." Given the influence of the university, which boasts a medical research school in addition to hundreds of other programs, Morgantown residents are diverse in both education and ethnicity, PLUS the Southern influence of manners and gentility was evident but not overly. The population is 26,000 but doubles when school is in session. Here's a sampling of the photos I took when a wonderful woman, Judy, gave me a tour of the town.
Lots of trees on every street. This was taken from a neighborhood called "Southpark" which has some really nice homes, but older ones, which I love for their high ceilings, beautiful woodwork and porches large enough for porch swings. View looking North.


This was taken from the same street, looking West instead of North.


The medical facilities taken from a hill on one of the three campuses of West Virginia University.


Love the architecture in this town, older but kept up.


Morgantown, like most East Coast cities, boasts a lot of churches. I thought this doorway was especially beautiful. This church is in town, one block from Main street, but right next to a residential neighborhood.


A frat house across the street from the red door church.


Typical residential street within the city limits of Morgantown.


Main street looking North.


Main street looking South.


The Old Stone House, the oldest structure in Morgantown from the 1780's, right in the downtown and now a gift shop.

Morgantown is built on the banks of the Monongahela River, American Indian for "river with slippery banks." These photos were taken outside of town. Rivers, creeks and trees are prevalent all over the area. Fall here is purported to be "glorious."

The main building on the University's main campus (there are 3). Lots of trees but not a bad shot from a moving car.

Ok, I didn't take this one, but it's a different view of the same building and gives one a feel for the Colonial influence in Morgantown. Even if I don't go to school here, I would definitely come here to vacation.

No comments: