Saturday, December 06, 2008

I Found it!

When we went through Brandon's things in October, I found some odds and ends that had been missing. For instance--I had the mixer while he had the beaters! Go figure. Anyway, amidst all the clothing, books and dishes, I found a stack of recipes that I've had for years. Some of you will be too young to remember, but women's magazines such as Women's Day and Family Circle, used to include recipe booklets that could be pulled out and either filed or put in a binder. I love the ratty old booklet in these pictures. I've had it for over 30 years. How do I know? Because the inside pages say "Women's Day December 1975"! Wow. That means I had been married only about a year when I started making this recipe for pound cake.

The cake travels well and slices nicely if you want to include some on a cookie plate; or make a whole one and sweeten up that persnickety neighbor. Whatever you decide, the cake is delicious! I've had a request for the recipe, so here it is:

Pound Cake
In medium bowl stir together 2 & 2/3 cup flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional) and 1/4 tsp salt; set aside.

In large bowl cream 1 & 1/2 cups butter and 2 & 1/4 cups sugar until light and fluffly. Add 2 tsps grated lemon peel, 2 tsps vanilla, and 8 eggs, two at a time, mixing well between. Mixture will look a bit curdly but that's ok.

Add flour mixture to wet mixture all at once and mix at low speed until smooth and well blended. (Do not use a high speed as you'll whip air into the mixture and your pound cake will come out tough). Bake in 10 inch bundt pan at 325* for an hour and ten minutes. Cool for 5 minutes then transfer to cake plate. Store airtight in a container or wrap in plastic wrap. Do not refrigerate.

No comments: