Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Perspective

I have a lonely friend. Beautiful. Smart. Divorced. Built her life around a man. The problem is, it's been several years since her breakup and she still feels incomplete. I know the feeling, like a leg is missing or an arm, or part of one's heart. In her case though, she wants to be connected to someone in the worst way, but she hasn't done her work yet, at least, I don't think so because she's attracting all the wrong kinds. She looks at every male as a possible husband. Yikes!! I've tried to tell her that when she feels whole and beautiful and valuable--all by herself--then she'll attract a man who feels the same way about himself instead of every Mr. Needy out there. That, in fact, she'll find joy in getting to know herself as a unique, talented individual. There's amazing strength in that and in being alone. Sigh...words...I guess we're each here to learn on our own...but it helps to have friends to give us encouragement along the way. I'm so glad I didn't "hook up" with someone right out of the gate...who knows what kind of new problems I would have created for myself.

No comments: