Friday, October 10, 2008

Michele

I've discovered during this trip to California that Michele is not only a wonderful mother to Rolan, she is also witty and very thoughtful. She listens when people talk and finds ways to give that are meaningful and relevant. For example, yesterday, Michele drove me (as a surprise) to Berkeley to a hand-made paper store. She knows that I adore handmade paper and love surprises, so she went to the trouble of calling around then checking the internet. I wasn't allowed to know where we were going until we got there. We didn't go to just any old paper store either. It was a small place but filled with gorgeous hand-made Japanese paper, some of the most intricate and elaborate paper made. The work that goes into some of it! Stunning! And of course, some sheets were quite expensive, but perusing the merchandise was an experience and I found several gorgeous sheets to bring home for my next book art project. Michele said the trip wasn't for my birthday--just because. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness. And in the process, we enjoyed discovering a new, artsy kind of shopping area in Berkeley off the Gilman exit, my old stomping grounds. Thank you, Michele. A day to remember!

No comments: