Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Garden Party in June

Went to a Relief Society garden party on June 12. It was held outside around a beautiful pool and amidst wonderful flowers and foliage. The ambiance was perfect and the food gorgeous and delicious. Everyone wore hats and some of us even won prizes! Below is a great photo of my dear friend, Ann. We bonded quickly when we met and spent many hours together in the temple (and riding together and talking). She and her husband just moved to Nauvoo to enjoy the kind of life they've always wanted. I love you Annie! She won the prize for a hat most likely to be in a fashion magazine.My hat won for most colorful.
These two ladies are newer friends but equally dear. Barbara, who helped found and was once president of La Leche League International (she still works with nursing mothers) and Jenny who has a heart of gold and a husband with one too. Barbara got the prize for the oldest hat. She wore her nursing cap which is a replica of the one Florence Nightingale used to wear. And Jenny won the prize for most like a garden party hat.
Jen, Annie, Sonja, Megan
Close up of my hat. Some of the women thought the flowers were fresh. They were--fresh from Michael's! I used floral tape to put them together and floral wire to attach them to the hat. Not a bad job I think, considering it was my first try. I just wish we lived in an era that encouraged hat wearing like they did when my parents were younger.

2 comments:

thedunnfamily said...

Your hat is so beautiful, and the girls are right they do lok like real flowers. Love ya, Jaz

Anonymous said...

Oh Martha, I miss you so much! You are the most wonderful friend and I feel like I've known and loved you forever! Come to Nauvoo and we'll spend the day in the temple just like "old" times!
Love,
Annie