Friday, November 09, 2007

This space of time

My main problem right now is neuropathy, a debilitating condition that's a result of the toxicity of chemo. I clump around like a little old lady and wait and wait for the day when this is all behind me. My feet burn and hurt constantly. My balance sucks. Night time is the worst. But during the day I'm not unaware of how much healing has yet to take place. It's frustrating. One of the chemo nurses told me it would take "at least a year" before my feet are healed. I'm hoping it's much sooner than that. In the meantime, I read a lot, sleep, surf the internet, watch tv, go for the occasional errand in the car...I can do a little shopping but any weight on my feet makes the pain worse. I have an appointment next week to see an acupuncturist in the city. And every day, and night too, I'm alone with my thoughts, my prayers, and my faith and patience, which are both being tested...thank goodness for my Telly who calls every single day. Only when I'm talking with her do I remember that this condition is temporary, even though it will probably not be over anytime soon. In the meantime, I'm making plans to move to Baltimore and resume my life as soon as my feet and the weather will let me make the drive.

No comments: